Wednesday 22 October 2014

It's more Indian than you think !

“Fragrance of the fresh gajara tightly woven in her braid filled the room with a soothing aroma. As I entered a little further in the room, melodious jhankar of her payal sounded like music to my ears. The giggles and soft whispering brought me closer to the liveliest group in the otherwise silent, dimly lit room.
I was mesmerized to see a glittering bindi on her forehead shining like moonlight. Suddenly she turned around, caught me in eyes. I shivered but she smiled. I smiled back too. Dressed in an ethnic embellished lehenga choli she looked divine. As she caressed the hair falling on her face, her bright red lip color and heena laden hand caught my attention.
She greeted me with a Namaste. I was too happy to respond back in Hindi after months.
It seemed like I have come to a celebration in India. Memories of festivities, colors, lights, and togetherness transcended me to a blissful world.
Slowly and gradually the beats of the drum and lights of diya interspersed me. It was Diwali celebration tonight at the Groningen University campus in the Netherlands.
I looked around; everyone was dressed in ethnic Indian attire, guys with a turban, some in kurta- pajama, girls in salwaar kameez and some in even a sari.
A small bunch of Indian community at the campus had hosted this party and all irrespective of their nationality or religion enthusiastically came forth to celebrate and cheer together. Everyone danced to the tunes of famous Bollywood music; choir sang Hindi songs and ate mouthwatering Indian delicacies. "
My younger brother exulted in excitement as he narrated this to me. It was his first Diwali away from home. 
He was proud to say that there is a mini India in every nook and corner of this world. Our rich vibrant culture and heritage has a special place in everyone’s heart.  Our zestful spirit of brotherhood enamour one and all and binds every one across the globe in a special bond nurtured with love just like Lufthansa-TVC which connects all.



4 comments:

  1. Nice article :)
    Lufthansa ki ad bhi kar di :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well written Sam. For a moment, I thought I was in midst of a colorful Diwali. You have a gift - keep up the good work !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ade :-)
      Your words are always an encouragement.

      Delete
  3. And yours are always a pleasure to read.

    ReplyDelete